Monday, October 1, 2007

OMG... My HDD!!!!

My current harddisk (HDD) has been a bit siao siao for a few months already, keeps giving me this error msg: "Primary Master Hardisk: S.M.A.R.T. Status Bad, Backup & Replace. Press F1 To resume" everytime I on the pc. Worry that my HDD cannot tahan any long & anytime might died on me so hubby decided to a bigger GB HDD to backup all my important data!

Went Sim Lim Sq to buy a 320GB HDD (treated as slave) & backup all my data there. I CUT & pasted all my data over to the new HDD. (Stupid me, why I never tot of keeping a copy in the old HDD which is normally my way of doing things. I dun mind repeating data as long as I dun missed any 宁可杀错,不可放过!). So I formatted my current dying HDD but still got the same error msg. So decided to get another new HDD for daily use & the other HDD as a backup, while the old & dying HDD can retire liao.

Hubby helped me to remove the dying HDD & installed the new HDD on master but did not unplugged the slave HDD. Coz stupid me din know MUST unplugged the slave HDD so that pc will not "accidentially" formatted the wrong HDD (maybe also I "chose" the wrong HDD to format tho I believed I did correctly as I had done formatting on my own b4). Anyway, 事事无绝对, things went wrong & I still din realised it!

Was formatting half-way then thinking to play safe, better remove the slave after that. After I unplugged the HDD, I found my formatting for something wrong, so re-do (this time w/o the slave). Happily format & installing all the neccessary softwares, then I plugged in the slave!

OMG.... what happened to my HDD??? Arrrggg.... all my vv vv vv impt backup data are all gone! Now the slave HDD actually partitioned into 2 parts & each drive only got a WINDOWS folder inside... sob sob!!!! where have all my data gone to!!!! Keeps thinking & thinking. I guessed I made a mistake for when formatting, maybe chose wrong HDD to format? But the partition was exactly the same as the master HDD... hmmmm.... how come like that? Sob sob...

Went online to msn my brother to help me & he told me to find disk recovery software online to try out & DO NOT DO ANYTHING TO THE BACKUP HDD ANYMORE. I downloaded & tried a few softwares on the old HDD but in vain. Some softwares did manage to recover data but found that all the recovered data are for drive C & not drive D (that's where I kept all my vv impt data). Sob sob....

Hubby suggested we go Sim Lim Sq to find help. Enquired a few shops for disk recovery software & accidentially chanced upon a shop owner who recommended me to try a repair shop at the end. This shop is doing repair for pc, notebook etc. Check with them if can recover my data & was told they can try. Charges was $80 - $150. If they din managed to recover, no charge. So I passed them the HDD & an Acer notebook (sil's son notebook lah). Time needed was max. 1 week.

I really hope they can recover all the data as there are a lot of my kid's photos & impt documents inside!!!!! Pray Pray!!!

No comments: